11.01.2005

Dandy Warhols

I'm not sure what happened here.

Recall, If you will the release of the Dandy Warhols most awesome of albums, Thirteen Tales of Urban Bohemia, In the summer of 2000. I can clearly remember being at a party in the hills, looking out over the spread of traffic and hearing a very ear catching and distrinct song that I later came to know as "Godless." I remember thinking:

"Wow, I haven't heard a horn section this cool since ........."

And then I promptly vomited.

Throughout the next half hour of marathon chucking I was constantly hearing the rest of this album playing on random. One might think I would hate it, as you would probably associate it with bad times. Not so. I fucking LOVED it. This album still stands in my mind as one of the most well crafted bits of rock n roll I have ever had the pleasue to come across.

For the next three years I took that freaking CD on the he road with me from California to Florida blasting it to anyone who would bother to give me a second to listen to how I was from "LA" and that this was the next big thing. Some bought it, some didn't . But when I was done, everyone knew that I was a Dandy Warhols fan to the end.

Or so I thought.

Fuck! Which is why it makes me so sad to listen to the last two follow ups.
Somewhere, somehow, the Dandy Warhols fell off.

Maybe, it was the hype. Maybe with a swarm of media from the US Europe buying up their singles for commercials, the became jaded. Maybe when they stopped sniffing coke off each others assholes (or so rumor says), they lost touch with the hedonistic fire that inspired "get Off," maybe they just got older and wiser. Maybe I did.

All I know is that Welcome to the Monkey House was a MAJOR disappointment, aside from "Last High." A thoroughly bland album. Leaning more towards some sort of Euro 80's synth thingie, versus the raw snooty guitar riffs that sold me in yesteryear.

The Dandy's new album was just recently released, and I'm trying REAL hard to like it. I'm not having any luck so far. I want to like them still. I really do. But I'm just not feeling it. Odditorium or Warlords of Mars is not what I'd hoped, to say the least. But time will tell. I guess it's hard to compare that first adrenaline rush of discovering something new and exciting that seems to promise the world, with something that by now is familiar and perhaps getting redundant. We've both gotten older the Dandys and I.
Perhaps it's time to find a new love....

But before I do, I'd like to pawn this Rock Ho off on some new John. The Dandy's wouldn't want it any other way I'm sure.
If you haven't listened to them before, may I recommend the single that made me a fan? Godless still stands as one of the best singles I've ever heard and the video is no less precious. If you've ever spent any time slumming around L.A,'s various "hipster" spots you'll immediately recognize this as a perfect example of the type of heroine chic bullshit that tends to get pandered around as "Cool" spots. Don't forget kids, It's awesome to be bored. Might I point out the ULTRA-Hip Gay Hula Hooper doing the sexy dance.

Here is the official Dandy Warhols Website. Now in 3-D!

No comments: