2.13.2006

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club:

I was cleaning out my Itunes today and discovered that I had all three BRMC albums on my computer. Now this isn't amazing in of itself except for two things:

1. I don't (didn't) like BRMC, and

2. I've never even held a copy any of BRMC's albums in my hands.

Now despite the apparent illegality of this statement I will continue on, with the hopes that anyone in a position to prosecute me will realize that this was entirely accidental, and maybe providence as well.

When BRMC first came out with their Self Titled debut in 2001, I remember there being a lot hype about them. I listened to the album myself and immediately felt like they were aping their obvious influences (Jesus and Mary Chain, Stone Roses) too heavily. To top it off there was an influx of art noise bands coming up at the time that all seemed to be drawing on the late 80's early nineties British scene for underground inspiration. How many times did you read that such and such a band were the next Joy Division or Catherine Wheel?

Consequently I wrote BRMC off and only gave them credit for a bad ass name for a band. 2003 comes along and Take Them On, On Your Own is released. I again give BRMC a listen based off several friends incessant yammering about it. I find that while not as obvious a homage to their predecessors, The boys from S.F. have decided to make the ultimate blunder in immediately Time Stamping your music with a freshness label, by infusing their lyrics with political slants and commentary on the American presidential Administration. Yeesh. Bad move guys.

Despite all this heard a lot of people who's opinions I respect tell me they loved BRMC. This is getting long so I'll cut the chase.

I found the album Howl this morning and actually sat down and gave it a good listen. Wow, is all I can say. What a quantum Leap in sound. This, my friends, is amazing. BRMC has found a sound that works well for them. They've kept the sonic screech and noise that fans love about them but cut it back so as to make a part of the whole instead of the majority. Mississippi Delta Blues can now be heard throughout the collection with dark imagery of bible belt catholic murder spree guilt. The lyric are excellent with just enough vagueness to allow the listener room for interpretation. All in All, I'm hooked. This is the BRMC that I've been personally waiting for.

that being said I think I'll be able to go back and listen to the first two albums as a nice comparison for BRMC's growth. Who knows, I might even enjoy them.

Here's the video for Ain't No Easy Way

No comments: