9.09.2008

Too Many Choices: Why I Hate Having Multiple Opportunities

One of my theories I use to justify certain behaviors of mine throughout my life to explain both mine, and my shiftless generation's (x) lack of any real sort of "Go Get 'Em" attitude goes something like this; We are presented with so many choice on a day to day level, that it becomes very difficult to make any choice at all. There are so many varieties of EVERYTHING that you can often spend more tim just looking at all the choice than actually making a choice. The larger and important the decision the more frightening it becomes. Colleges, Careers, Religions, Cars, Houses, Banking, Life Partners, Health Care Plans, Retirement Plans, etc etc etc.

Presented with all of these options for the "Big Stuff" we often feel like a proverbial deer in the headlights, paralyzed by the indecision on which way to jump.

A few months ago I stumbled upon a Talk by Barry Schwartz. Barry basically agrees with everything I've said for the last 10 years, and I suspect that he may be using some psychic ability to download my thoughts in order to write a book about it, much like Chuck Klosterman does about Pop Culture.


Dicks.

Anyway. Watch Barry's talk and tell me whether you agree or not. Thats not the point of this blog.

So in the last few days, after 5 months of Joblessness, Homelessness, No money due to complications in Unemployment Benefits, being put into the situation wheere I have had to sponge off friends, family, girlfriends and strangers to get by (Thank you all! I owe each and everyone of you a bag of bankable Plasma or something) I have had several opportunites present themselves all at once.

2 of the 3 Dispatch positions I've applied for, I'm pretty deep in the running now. Jobs not mine yet, but I'm feeling pretty confident. another I applied for several months ago when I was laid off, has called me out of the blue and informed me that the job is mine if I want it, and finally another that I just recently applied for has called me to schedule an interview. Awesome right? Right!

So why do I feel depressed and put upon? It's weird. At any point in the last 5 months I would have jumped on any of these jobs unhesitatingly, yet now I can't figure out whats the best choice? One of the postions wants me to start almost immediately, but what if one of the other 3 is better? Will fate cut off the other opportunities if I commit to one? Will I be happy? will I have enough money to support me and my girlfriend? Aggghhhh!!!

No comments: